Gain the skills to produce effective root cause analysis.
This course introduces Root Cause Analysis and problem solving concepts, and then applies them using real problems from participants’ own experience. Throughout the course, concepts are made concrete through reference to real-life examples brought to the course by the participants, as well as selected examples from other situations and organisations.
After an introduction to some key psychological phenomena that inhibit the problem-solving capabilities of individuals and teams, it then introduces methods, tools and techniques which overcome these phenomena, and builds individual skills through practice.
The course concludes by discussing how best to ensure that Root Cause Analysis techniques are successfully implemented and utilised within your organisation.
By the end of this course, you should (as a minimum) be able to:
- Describe the concepts behind Root Cause Analysis thinking.
- Describe why most traditional problem solving approaches do not work effectively.
- Demonstrate a paradigm shift in your thinking about problem solving and failure analysis.
- Demonstrate the skills to solve problems effectively using Root Cause Analysis principles.
- Stopping too soon
- The “Blame Game”
- The Root Cause Myth
- The Illusion of Common Sense and One Reality
- Failure to think “outside the box”
- Categorical Thinking
- Story Telling
- What is a “failure”?
- Recurring, chronic problem, or one-off catastrophic failure?
- Specifying required performance – “want” vs “can” vs “did”
- Variability in Processes and Parts – when has a failure occurred?
- Focus on business consequences
- Treat the scene like a crime scene
- Electronic Records
- Conducting Interviews
- What can be done to overcome the immediate consequences of failure?
- Could this occur again while the investigation is being conducted?
- What can we do to minimise further consequences?
- When is a team based analysis appropriate?
- Who should be involved?
- Who will implement the outcomes?
- Cause-effect principles
- Physical Root Causes
- Human Root Causes
- System (Latent) Root Causes
- Searching for patterns and comparisons
- Brainstorm for causes
- Preparing a Cause-Effect diagram
- Run charts
- Additional data requirements
- Brainstorm for solutions
- Solution guidelines
- Solution Killers
- Validating against the Cause-Effect diagram
- Assessing alternatives
- Developing a Report
- Developing a Presentation
- Presentation skills
- Obtaining approvals
- Tracking implementation progress
- Getting proactive work done in a reactive maintenance environment
- Developing and implementing tracking metrics
- When to Perform an Analysis
- Tracking Implementation Compliance
- Where to from here?
Root Cause Analysis for Team Members
- Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth
- From $1755.00 excl. GST
- Online duration: 12 hours
- Face to face duration: 12 hours